Saturday, May 28

A Pattern for Success?

Dr. Henry Cloud wrote this article called "Deja Vu People" describing how a particular way of doing things, leading to a successful life, is potentially achievable for any person, regardless of people's backgrounds and makeup, genes or histories, race, personality type, economic background, or IQ. He observed that patterns of success do not reside in any one type of person. These patterns transcend all backgrounds, talents, and limitations. Thus, they exist on their own and are available to all of us. They are not things that one person "possesses" and another does not, like a talent. Instead, we can all learn these patterns that work every time and lead to better lives. The truth is that no one is excluded. If you were not born with these patterns in place, you can learn them. He wrote, "My belief is that once you do, life will never be the same."

Herein lies my challenge. I have found that I've actually picked up this belief... in the midst of my personal struggles throughout this and last year, I actually believe too that I can learn this pattern of success. And after repeated failures, dreams that didn't work out, ambitions that flew into the air, hopes of becoming a better person, I believe that the only way I can get above myself is to learn a new pattern of living. The battle for me is in the mind. Positive versus negative thinking. A balance of Confidence versus Fear. What is it that sets people apart from others? That gives them the boldness to pursue what they want in life? To know what they want? and to be sure of their footing?

In Proverbs 3:6 we read "... in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." So, I confess that it is indeed a difficult task to do each day, coz we are so prone to forgetting the Lord's Goodness and reality. If we acknowledge the Lord and seek His guidance for every detail of our day, our path will be straight, no matter what happens. And so, amidst this long holiday - a self-reflection time and refreshment... I await great things. And battle out the worst of enemies - myself, inhibitions, lack of energy, lack of ambition...everything that hinders me from living out a successful life that I so desire.


Be Careful Where You Get Your Counsel
Dr John C. Maxwell

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall he like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
Psalm 1: 1-3

The brilliant first psalm contrasts the righteous and the wicked. Leaders, take note because the difference between the two seems to be where they get their counsel! Observe how a foolish leader can be led astray by a corrupt inner circle:

1. The leader begins to browse for the wrong counsel.

2. The leader begins to listen to the wrong voices.

3. The leader joins the wrong inner circle.

A wise leader meditates on God?s word day and night. Note the results of receiving counsel from the right inner circle:

1. Stability

2. Inward nourishment and refreshment

3. Fruitfulness and productivity

4. Strength and durability

5. Success


My sites
+ Youth Arise Ministry
+ OLPS Youth
+ OLPS Ensemble
+ JazzicalBelles
+ Cordas Quad (String quartet)
+ NTU String Orchestra
+ Facebook

+ Email me + Home
© 2008 Samantha Marie Chan. All rights reserved. Last tampered 130908