Friday, March 5

Being Single with Intentionality?

This article was quite inspiring, i so agree with all the comments below as well!


Being Single with Intentionality 
By Lauren Sheehan

Glow-in-the-dark Putt-Putt, laser tag, make-your-own ice cream sundaes and skee ball. A teenager’s dream, right? The funny thing is, these activities are not a part of a teenybopper’s weekend schedule—they are actual events I have attended as an adult in singles’ ministry. While I have been reluctantly traipsing through dark, musty rooms clutching a laser gun, some of my married friends have been hosting dinner parties, having cookouts and building face-to-face community. Although I might have left with a Chinese yo-yo bought with my skee ball winnings, my married friends left with a deeper sense of belonging.

Because I’m single, is it assumed that I automatically enjoy perpetual icebreakers? Am I not ready to graduate to the land of sophistication and supper clubs, or is this just the fate of a woman who has failed in the dating department? Somehow, these self-deprecating ideas don’t mesh with what I know to be true about the way God loves me. So, how then, does a single person navigate through this season, finding appropriate amounts of community while not subjecting themselves to feeling as though they are stuck in the land of lock-ins? My answer to this has been intentionality.

READ MORE

I like one of the comment by "Lori" which says:
...My time is now. Just because I'm not married yet does not mean that my life isn't full of opportunities to follow God. In fact there are probably several things that I can do now that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do if I was married. It certainly doesn't mean I'm any less busy than a married person, but I do feel a little freer.

And another one by "Brianne":
... I have a full and vibrant life despite my single status, and I'm just as interested in building community as my married friends. A lot of churches don't have singles' ministries at all, and the ones who do oftentimes treat them like a Christian dating service. It's good to know that there are other singles out there who are trying to make their walk work in this couples-oriented world.


Cheers to Singlehood!


My sites
+ Youth Arise Ministry
+ OLPS Youth
+ OLPS Ensemble
+ JazzicalBelles
+ Cordas Quad (String quartet)
+ NTU String Orchestra
+ Facebook

+ Email me + Home
© 2008 Samantha Marie Chan. All rights reserved. Last tampered 130908